Villa Quetzal

Villa Quetzal

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Top 20 Phrases you need to know in Spanish

  
If you speak Spanish or know already some phrases, you will probably agree with me when I say that part of the fun of vacationing or living in another country is the opportunity to communicate with the local people, make friends and enjoy the culture.

In Costa Rica, many of the well-educated people speak English, and many of the tourism-oriented businesses hire employees who speak at least the Basic English to be able to accomplish the task of serving customers like you.

The Southern-Pacífic side of the country is highly touristic, so if you are planning to spend your vacation in this area, the chances that you need Spanish to survive are slim or none.
However, knowing some key phrases and showing the locals your willingness to speak their language, will get you lots of good will, extra help and friendly smiles.

Here we go, the Top 20 Phrases you need to know:


English
Spanish



1
Hello!
Buenas!
2
How are you?
¿Como te va?
3
What is happening?
¿Que pasa?
4
Where are you from?
¿De dónde eres?
5
Where is the...  …Hotel?
¿En dónde está el Hotel...…?
6
Here is my Passport
Aquí esta mi pasaporte
7
My ID is my passport
Mi identificación es mi pasaporte
8
What is the exchange rate today?
¿Cual es el tipo de cambio en dólares?
9
I prefer small bills
Prefiero billetes pequeños
10
How much does it cost?
¿Cuanto cuesta?
11
It is too expensive!
Es muy caro!
12
Can you lower the price?
¿Puedes bajar el precio?
13
Is this the road to…...?
¿Es éste el camino a…..?
14
Can you repeat that, please?
¿Puedes repetírmelo, por favor?
15
How long does it take by car?
¿Cuanto dura el viaje en auto?
16
What way should I go?
¿Hacia dónde debo ir?
17
Straight aheadd
Derecho
18
To the right
A la derecha
19
I locked the keys inside the car, could you help me?
Dejé las llaves encerradas en del carro, ¿me podrías ayudar?
20
I have a problem and I need your help.
Tengo un problema y necesito tu ayuda.

These few phrases will get the job done.

But if you enjoy other languages and want to learn more Spanish, you can check the Amazon link above and get your “Guide to Costa Rican Spanish”.




No comments:

Post a Comment